|Snowy Greetings from the Deanery!|
In spite of a likely mild thaw, and in view of the adverse weather conditions and the forecast of possibly more snow and freezing conditions overnight, I have taken the decision (in the light of Bishop Michael's email to his clergy below) to cancel services in Clonbeg, Magorban and Tipperary tomorrow. The Family Service in the Cathedral is cancelled, but since I can walk up to the Cathedral a simple said Eucharist will be celebrated for any who may like to, and are safely be able to attend. No one should consider travelling if there is any risk involved! The Confirmation Group scheduled for tomorrow afternoon is also cancelled. I shall make a decision as to Monday's Lent meeting in due course and let you know with a further notification here tomorrow.
Hope you are all able to stay warm and well supplied.
All good wishes,
Extract from Bishop Michael's email:
Those of us who can safely access churches, perhaps because we live beside them, should ensure that the voice of prayer is never silent - and we should remember especially in prayer the cold and the homeless and the vulnerable. It may be that few will be able to join us; so be it. We should not ourselves take risks in getting to more distant churches, nor should we encourage others to take risks in striving to attend. There can sometimes be an element of bravado about these situations. The important thing is the use of local common sense.... It so happens that the RTE 1 Tv broadcast on Sunday at 11.10 is a bilingual Eucharist. I preside in my role as patron of Cumann Gaelach na hEaglaise, and the deacon is the Revd Trevor Sargent. The service marks not only Lent III, but also the eve of the Feast of Ciaran, patron of the see of Ossory. For those whose Irish is modest or rusty, I assure you the liturgy will be accessible. So on Sunday - as it happens - the faithful of CFO can be part of the worship of the diocese, without leaving their firesides!